Since 1979, Clark Balfour has focused his practice primarily on municipal, land use, water and environmental law. Mr. Balfour possesses extensive experience in dealing with federal and Oregon water quality laws, water rights, regulatory permits, construction claims, land use laws, and property acquisitions.
He serves as general counsel for a variety of municipalities and special districts that provide sanitary sewer, surface water management, domestic water supply services, and electricity. Mr. Balfour assists his local government clients with property acquisitions, condemnation, permitting, procurement, and construction and represents them in regulatory permit proceedings before state and federal agencies.
- Drafted legislation that made it easier to locate utility facilities on EFU lands on behalf of the Special Districts Association of Oregon and the League of Oregon Cities.
- Served as counsel to the City of Hermiston in condemnation litigation to acquire an electric distribution system from an investor-owned utility.
- Assisted McMinnville Water & Light with NEPA issues related to increasing the McGuire Reservoir, including a successful defense in Federal District Court and Ninth Circuit Court proceedings.
- Formation of intergovernmental entities to allow individual government members to jointly own and operate public works, utilities, public safety and information technology projects.
- Member, Oregon State Bar, Government Law, Real Estate & Land Use, and Environmental & Natural Resources Sections
- Past Member, Oregon State Bar, Government Law Section, Executive Committee
- Board of Directors, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
- Board of Directors, Special Districts Association of Oregon