Tom Grim is a partner in the firm and has been practicing energy and public utility law for almost 30 years.
He has extensive experience in all areas of energy and utility law, including wholesale and retail power supply agreements, renewable energy credit transactions, siting and construction of distribution and transmission infrastructure, development and financing of generation projects, asset acquisition and sales, service territory issues and risk management.
Mr. Grim has represented clients in some of the most significant commercial transactions undertaken by consumer-owned electric utilities in the Pacific Northwest.
Mr. Grim also represents his clients in regulatory and judicial proceedings when necessary. For example, he represented a public utility client before FERC and state courts in the successful defense of a $97 million refund claim.
Mr. Grim serves as General Corporate Counsel on all legal matters for numerous consumer-owned utilities in the region, including:
- Umatilla Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Clatskanie People’s Utility District
- Lakeview Light and Power
- Tillamook People’s Utility District
- Northwest Intergovernmental Energy Supply
- Western Generation Agency
Mr. Grim is also retained as special legal counsel by several other utilities, including:
- Eugene Water & Electric Board
- Northern Wasco People’s Utility District
- Richland Energy Services
- Columbia REA
- McMinnville Water & Light
- Ongoing representation as General Corporate Counsel on all legal matters for the largest electric cooperative in the West, with over $100 million in annual revenue.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation of retail electric service agreements for multiple large industrial loads, totaling over 60 MWs.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation and drafting of multiple agreements for the provision of retail electric service to a 70 MW paper mill located in Washington. The transaction included the acquisition of a 69 kV interstate transmission line crossing the Columbia River and associated permit and easement rights.
- Assisted a utility client in the drafting of agreements necessary to provide 46 MW of demand response to the Bonneville Power Administration from the largest steel mill in Oregon.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation of contracts necessary for the design, construction and commissioning of 4 transmission level electrical substations and associated transmission lines necessary to provide service to existing and new significant industrial loads.
- Assisted a utility client in the negotiation and drafting of agreements for the sale of a 38 MW hydroelectric project located in Idaho and the transfer of the FERC license to the new owner.
- Advised a utility client in multiple RUS and CFC loan and refinance transactions, including a $43 million RUS loan for system development.
- Represented a utility client in drafting a Lease and O&M Agreement for a shared substation to be jointly operated with another utility.
- Invited speaker at the 2017 Buying and Selling Electricity in the West legal seminar on the topic of Special Issues for Public Power in Evolving Markets.
- Assisted a utility client in drafting and adopting open access generation interconnection and transmission policies. Ongoing representation of the client in implementing the policies and procedures while processing over 570 MW of interconnection and transmission requests.
- Represented a utility client that is joint owner of a decommissioned nuclear generation facility to recover $27 million in damages from the federal government for continued delay in the permanent disposal of spent nuclear fuel. Ongoing representation of the client as co-licensee of Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation.
- Ongoing representation of a California utility in connection with the ownership and operation of a 136 MW wind farm located in Washington.
- Assisted a Washington utility client in drafting and adopting revisions to corporate By-laws.
- Ongoing representation of an intergovernmental agency consisting of 11 regional consumer-owned utilities with respect to the acquisition of non-federal power to meet wholesale power needs.
- Represented a joint ownership entity in obtaining $4.3 million insurance recovery for casualty damage to a generation facility and resulting outage.
- Represented a client in a declaratory relief action in state court seeking a judicial interpretation of the rights and obligations of the client under a wholesale wind power purchase agreement. Assisted client in the negotiation and documentation of a settlement agreement worth approximately $4.7 million to the client.
- Advised a utility client in connection with the refinance of its ownership share in a 200 MW wind farm.
- Mr. Grim is a member of the Federal Energy Bar Association and the NRECA Electric Cooperative Bar Association.
- Tom is a past Co-Chair and a frequent speaker at the regionally recognized Buying and Selling Electricity in the West legal seminar.