Tom Grim is a partner in the firm and has been practicing energy and public utility law for over 30 years. Tom has represented clients in some of the most significant commercial transactions undertaken by consumer-owned electric utilities in the Pacific Northwest. He has extensive experience in all areas of public utility law, including:
- Wholesale and retail power supply agreements
- Risk management
- Siting and construction of distribution and transmission infrastructure
- Interconnection and transmission agreements
- System financing
- Asset acquisition and sales subsidiary formation
- Development and financing of generation projects
- Service territory issues
- Renewable energy credit transactions
Tom also represents his clients in regulatory and judicial proceedings when necessary.
Tom serves as General Counsel on all legal matters for several consumer-owned utilities in the region, including:
- Umatilla Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Central Electric Cooperative
- Clatskanie People’s Utility District
- Lakeview Light and Power
- Tillamook People’s Utility District
- NRU Power Services
- Western Generation Agency
Tom is also retained as special legal counsel by numerous other utilities, including:
- Eugene Water & Electric Board
- Northern Wasco People’s Utility District
- Pend Oreille PUD
- Grant County PUD
- Richland Energy Services
- Columbia REA
- Ongoing representation as General Corporate Counsel on all legal matters for the largest electric cooperative in the West, with over $200 million in annual revenue.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation of retail electric service agreements for multiple large industrial loads, totaling over 150 MWs.
- Represented a utility client in the siting, construction and interconnection of a 23 mile long 230 kV transmission line.
- Assisted a utility client in the drafting of agreements necessary to provide 46 MW of demand response to the Bonneville Power Administration from the largest steel mill in Oregon.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation and drafting of multiple agreements for the provision of retail electric service to a 70 MW paper mill located in Washington. The transaction included the acquisition of a 69 kV interstate transmission line crossing the Columbia River and associated permit and easement rights.
- Assisted a utility client in the drafting of agreements necessary to provide 46 MW of demand response to the BPA from the largest steel mill in Oregon.
- Represented a utility client in the negotiation of contracts necessary for the design, construction and commissioning of transmission level electrical substation, switchyards and associated transmission lines necessary to provide service to existing and new industrial loads totaling over 700 MWs.
- Assisted a utility client in the negotiation and drafting of agreements for the sale of a 38 MW hydroelectric project located in Idaho and the transfer of the FERC license to the new owner.
- Advised a utility client in multiple RUS and CFC loan and refinance transactions, including a $48 million RUS loan for system development.
- Represented a utility client in drafting a Lease and O&M Agreement for a shared substation to be jointly operated with another utility.
- Represented a public utility client before FERC and state courts in the successful defense of a $97 million refund claim.
- Assisted a utility client in drafting and adopting open access generation interconnection and transmission policies. Ongoing representation of the client in implementing the policies and procedures while processing over 570 MW of interconnection and transmission requests.
- Represented the joint owner of a decommissioned nuclear generation facility to recover $27 million in damages from the federal government for continued delay in the permanent disposal of spent nuclear fuel.
- Assisted Oregon and Washington utility clients in drafting and adopting revisions to corporate By-laws.
- Represented a joint ownership entity in obtaining $4.3 million insurance recovery for casualty damage to a generation facility and resulting outage.
- Advised a utility client in connection with the refinance of its ownership share in a 200 MW wind farm.
- Tom is a member of the Federal Energy Bar Association and the NRECA Electric Cooperative Bar Association.
- Tom is a past Co-Chair and speaker at the regionally recognized Buying and Selling Electricity in the West legal seminar.