Laura Maffei brings her experience as a geologist to her practice in environmental and natural resources law. She has extensive experience in Clean Water Act regulation in both Oregon and Washington where she assists clients with negotiating permit conditions and complying with permits. Ms. Maffei has litigated a number of Clean Water Act cases in both state and federal court, including defending against citizen suits and challenges to state-wide Clean Water Act regulations.
Ms. Maffei provides legal support on a wide variety of cleanup projects in Oregon and Washington, including negotiating with state agencies, seeking contribution from other liable parties, and pursuing insurance recovery related to contaminated sites.
Ms. Maffei assists her clients with due diligence on environmental aspects of business and real estate transactions, including purchasing, selling and leasing contaminated or formerly contaminated property.
Ms. Maffei is one of a small number of Oregon lawyers who are Registered Professional Geologists with the State of Oregon.
- Oregon Dept. of Geology & Mineral Industries (DOGAMI):
– Member, Governing Board (2014-2017)
– Board Chair (2018-present)
- Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies (ACWA):
– Member, Board of Directors & Legal Committee Chair (2010-present)
- St. Andrew Legal Clinic
– Board President (2011)
– Member, Board of Directors (2007-present)
- Oregon State Bar, Executive Committee to the Environmental & Natural Resources Section:
– Chair (2013)
– Member, Executive Committee (2006-present)
– Secretary (2010); Treasurer (2011)
- Oregon State Bar Legal Publications, Environmental Law Deskbook: Editor, Volume 1: Regulation and Permitting
- Northwest Environmental Conference (NWEC): Member, Steering Committee (2008-2010)
- Away from the office, Ms. Maffei spends time training her young dogsled team, enjoying the opera, and studying the works of Charles Dickens.