Casey has substantial experience in all aspects of state and federal litigation in cases involving corporate governance, complex contract disputes, securities fraud, commercial leases, government investigations, construction defects and consumer protection laws. Casey’s practice has included representation of corporations and individuals in state and federal complex civil litigation, arbitration, and appeals. Casey also has significant experience representing financial institutions in FINRA arbitrations and litigating in bankruptcy court.
Casey has argued before federal and state courts, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Oregon Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Cable Huston in 2011, Casey worked as a litigation associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in San Francisco. While there, Casey focused his practice on complex civil litigation including acting as associate trial counsel or lead associate on multi-million dollar commercial disputes and contested Chapter 11 proceedings.
Recent Representative Matters
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of water utility in successful defense against $2.8 million suit from prime contractor for alleged differing site conditions, defect repair, delay, and constructive acceleration claims.
- Lead counsel for energy utility in litigation over catastrophic failure of dam facility.
- Lead counsel on a $3 million federal lawsuit on behalf of a public water commission against Siemens arising from the failure of Siemens’ water treatment technology.
- Trial counsel on behalf of AmeriTitle against Gilliam County for unconstitutionally imposing local hiring policy on developers as element of tax abatement program. Federal jury verdict for AmeriTitle finding violation of commerce clause and equal protection clause as well as damages. Court ordered injunction against the County and attorneys fees in favor of AmeriTitle.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of electric utility against wind power seller for breach of power purchase agreement. Secured an arbitration award from three-member arbitration panel worth c. $6 million.
- Litigation defense counsel to renewable energy product company in Oregon state court lawsuit alleging $30 million in damages for appropriation of trade secrets. Case settled favorably for the client.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of water utility in suit against City of Gresham for unlawful tax, filed in Oregon state court. Prevailed on summary judgment; prevailed at Oregon Supreme Court.
- Represents Trail Blazers, Inc. in various litigation matters, including grievance proceedings.
- Represented PCC Structurals, Inc. in a multi-million dollar civil litigation against Portland General Electric Company related to power outages at PCC’s manufacturing facilities.
- Lead trial counsel to pro bono client in foreclosure litigation in U.S. District Court of Oregon as participant in Oregon Federal Bar Association pro bono program. Case settled favorably for pro bono client.
- Visiting Faculty, Notre Dame Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, 2012 – 2019
- Coach of Cleveland High School Mock Trial Team, 2013-2019
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Oregon Chapter
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Mid-Sized Firm Committee for Campaign for Equal Justice